Establish Personas to Understand Your Digital Customer
One of the best ways to establish deep insights into your target audience is to develop Personas and fully understand the Consumer Journey.
Personas are fictional, generalized characters that encompass the various needs, goals, and observed behavior patterns among your real and potential audience.
Personas help you understand your audience better and develop an authentic dialogue with them in the digital space. They ensure your website, content marketing and adverts are written to help real, specific people in real, specific situations. Consumer Journeys are the holistic sum of experiences that consumers go through with a brand over time, from their perspective. Understanding Consumer Journeys will help you understand the key touchpoints where your consumers interact with your brand.
Here is an example of aspects to consider when developing Personas for your business or start up. This is very useful for establishing a Persona’s Goals, their Tasks before they take action, the Questions & Considerations they might have and importantly their Pain Points and Triggers.
Goals – Determine your personas key motivation or reason for visiting your website. Note that it’s the personas goal not necessarily your business goal.
Scenario – Describe the person as typical scenario and reasoning for visiting your site.
- What would be the typical way that the persona would know about your product or service?
- How would they find out about the product or service?
- What specific methods are involved in reaching you?
- How would the person do his/her research?
Tasks prior to taking action – Determine all the tasks the persona will need to accomplish before being in a position to take the action you want them to take.
- What does he/she need to find out?
- What is his/her first major concern about the product or service?
- What are the next 4 factors that need to be understood in order to have a better idea of all the risks involved?
Considerations and questions – From the scenario and the task lists, determine what questions your persona may have about your product or service. It should be relatively easy at this point to come up with around 10 key questions that the persona would want answered before deciding to purchase.
Pain points – Will be different for each persona and very personal.
- What makes the persona cry out in frustration?
- If he/she is potentially defecting from one product or service to yours, what pains him about the current situation?
- If not what are the needs that really pain him/her the most?
Trigger terms – Based on the pain points and considerations.
- Trigger terms are words people look for or use to try and solve their problems.
- Used in search engines, on blog posts, in emails.
- Determine 5 terms that will be used to search on Search engines that relate to the pain points and problems the person has. It’s good to do prior research around these keywords on Google Trends / Google Keyword tool.